Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Michael Clarke focuses on cricket for Australia Test with New Zealand

ichael Clarke is looking forward to focusing on his cricket again following the recent high-profile upheaval in his private life. The Australian vice-captain spoke in public today for the first time since the break-up of his relationship with the model Lara Bingle and he says he is raring to go ahead of Australia's first Test against New Zealand, which begins at the Basin Reserve on Friday.

The 28-year-old returned to the nets yesterday and, while refusing to comment on any aspect of his personal life, he was keen to thank those who have offered support during the past two weeks, particularly the former Australian leg-spinner Shane Warne.

"I have spoken to Warney," Clarke said. "He's been a wonderful friend of mine for a long time and he was excited to see me back in New Zealand and wished me all the best for Friday's Test match."

He added: "Being a professional athlete it's not just about what you do on the field it's about what you do off the field as well," he said. "Yesterday it was important to get back into the nets and have a good bat and see that red ball," he said.

"I've seen a lot of the white ball in the Twenty20 and one-day versions of the game of late so it's good to have some practice yesterday and today, and again tomorrow before the Test."

Clarke said he was also prepared for whatever the crowd threw at him on Friday: "I'm sure I will get a little bit of stick but I don't mind that," he said. "I think no matter where you go around the world every country wants their team to do well and win. We'll wait and see what happens on Friday but I don't think that will affect me too much."

Neither, he claims, would sledging from his opponents, if it occurs. "I've copped a fair bit of sledging in my time, whether it be about stuff on the field or off the field," he said.

"I have the utmost respect for the New Zealand guys and I'm sure they are the same. We'll play it by ear but I don't think it will affect me."

The fast bowler Ryan Harris, meanwhile, remains a doubt for the first Test, with the Australian selectors calling Peter George across the Tasman as cover.

Harris complained of soreness in his left side after the fourth match of the recent Chappell-Hadlee Trophy that the tourists won 3-2, forcing him to sit out the final game, and with poor weather in New Zealand preventing Australia from training outdoors the former Redback may not be selected.

No comments:

Post a Comment